Friday, September 10, 2010

SAUNDARANANDA 4.35: The Stick...

saced bhaves tvaM khalu diirgha-suutro
daNDaM mahaantaM tvayi paatayeyaM
muhur muhus tvaaM shayitaM kucaabhyaaM
vibodhayeyaM ca na c'aalapeyaM

- = - = = - - = - = =
= = - = = - - = - = =
- = - = = - - = - = =
- = - = = - - = - = =


4.35
If you dawdle,

I will punish you severely:

As you sleep I shall with my breasts

Repeatedly wake you and then not respond to you.


EH Johnston:
Should you however delay longer, I shall inflict a grevious punishment on you ; as you lie asleep, I shall repeatedly waken you by beating you with my breasts and shall refuse to speak to you.

Linda Covill:
If you are late, I will punish you severely; as you lie sleeping, I will keep waking you up by brushing against you with my breasts, but then refuse to talk to you.



VOCABULARY:
saced: if
bhaveH = 2nd pers. sg optative bhuu: to be
tvam (nom. sg.): you
khalu: (emphatic -- lays stress on the word by which it is preceded)
diirgha-suutraH (nom. sg. m.): mfn. " spinning a long yarn " , slow , dilatory , procrastinating
diirgha: long
suutra: n. a thread , yarn , string , line

daNDam (acc. sg.): m. a stick , staff , rod , pole , cudgel , club ; punishment
mahaantam (acc. sg. m.): great
tvayi (loc. sg.): on you
paatayeyam = 1st pers. sg. causative optative pat: to impose or inflict (punishment)

muhur muhur: ind. again and again
tvaam (acc. sg. m.): you
shayitam (acc. sg. m.): mfn. reposed , lying , sleeping , asleep
kucaabhyaam = inst. dual. kuca: m. the female breast , teat

vibodhayeyam 1st pers. sg. causative optative vi- √ budh: to awaken
ca na ca: though - yet not
aalapeyam: 1st pers. sg. optative aa- √ lap: to address , speak to , converse

No comments: